Tuesday, June 29, 2010

You Say Zucchini, I Say Crostini

Crostini are one of my favorite things to make and eat. Crusty bread topped with a mix of fresh ingredients that I can eat with my hands? I’m all over it. Great for hors d’oeuvres, they deliver a tasty blend of flavors all in one crunchy bite.

I was given some beautiful zucchini and tomatoes from right off of the farm stand and thought that they were the perfect candidates for a tasty crostini topping. A shaving of Parmiggiano Reggiano cheese adds a sweet, salty finish that really ties all of the components together. I find that these are best served warm or at room temperature.

For the crostini, since my grill happened to be on, I toasted my bread right on top of the grates. You could also bake them on a sheet tray in a 350 degree oven until golden. If you know you will be toasting in the oven, just make sure to preheat.

I adapted this recipe from Gourmet, June 1996.

Zucchini Crostini:
Makes about 20 crostini

- Olive oil for sautéing and for brushing crostini
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large zucchini, cut down the center and thinly sliced into half moons
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup basil, torn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 loaf crusty Italian/French bread, sliced on a slight bias
- Parmiggiano Reggiano, shaved into strips with a peeler


• Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until translucent
• Stir in zucchini and garlic and cook until the zucchini just begins to soften
• Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 2 minutes
• Add white wine and allow all liquid to reduce by half, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove mixture from pan and slightly cool.
• Brush bread slices with olive oil on each side and toast on the grill/in oven
• Top crostini with zucchini mixture and finish with a shaving or two of Parmiggiano Reggiano strips

No comments: