Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fiesta Week: Day Six

This concludes fiesta week. Thankfully, the fiesta was a success! But what would any party be without a few special beverages? In addition to a couple of Mexican beers, guests also sipped on white sangria with orange, peach, and mango, and a non-alcoholic watermelon margarita—I call it “watermelon drink,” for lack of a better term. Obviously, you can add some tequila if you wish--just substitute it for the lemon-lime soda. Both drinks are really easy and super refreshing.

Sangria, everyone’s favorite wine punch, is more Spanish than Mexican; but regardless of its origins it is just right for the summertime and was a welcomed guest at my fiesta. Did you know that Sangria was first tasted in the United States at the 1964 World’s Fair in New York? That was not too long ago! Traditionally sangria is made with red wine but you can make it with white, sparkling, or rosé—whatever your taste.

I hope that you all enjoyed learning about these Mexican dishes over the past week. I know I did!

White Sangria
Adapted from allrecipes.com  

Yield: 1 Gallon
- ½ cup peach schnapps
- ½ cup cognac
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 oranges cut into rounds
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 2 mangoes, sliced
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 1 liter ginger ale

• Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and enjoy! Can prepare a day or two in advance and refrigerate to develop stronger flavors. Serve over ice.

Watermelon Drink

Yield: 1 Quart

- ¼ cup sugar syrup
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed
- ½ cup lemon lime soda
- ¼ cup lime juice plus lime wedges for garnish
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Crushed ice

• Fill glasses with crushed ice. Combine all ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth. Fill prepared glasses with watermelon drink and garnish with lime wedges.

14 comments:

Moogie said...

I just happened upon your blog. Love the recipes and photos. I'm your newest follower.

Chef Dennis said...

who doesn't love a fiesta!! and that watermelon drink is calling to me! thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Magic of Spice said...

I would love one of those Sangrias:) What a feast you have going...

Frank said...

That white sangria looks so pretty and delicious. I've got to try it. Sante!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

They BOTH sound fantastic! A wonderful week of recipes!

Cindy Waffles said...

The sangria looks good! The watermelon drink looks awesome as well!

Marisa said...

Thanks everyone! Glad you enjoyed fiesta week!

Evan @swEEts said...

YUM! That white sangria looks killer and would be a perfect way to end this hot Texas summer day!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said...

Perfect drinks for summer! I do like Sangria with white wine. The watermelon drink will suite me better since I'm a lightweight. However, I think I will take both drinks!

Adelina said...

Have enjoyed your fiesa journey! Thanks so much!

christine said...

The watermelon drink looks so refreshing. I'm definitely trying that out. Congrats on the success of your fiesta! The food pic looks great! :)

Foodessa said...

Marisa...the White Sangria was most appealing to me...especially since it's one I have yet to make.

Enjoyed this past Fiesta week...very inviting ;o)

Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Two delightful drinks. Great job with your fiesta series.

MaryMoh said...

Love the wrap....mmm... delicious. The drinks look very refreshing. Looks like so much fun there. Wish I was there! :D