Monday, July 26, 2010

Fiesta Week: Day One

Welcome to Fiesta Week! An entire week dedicated to the cuisine of Mexico.

A few years ago I visited Puerto Vallarta with my family and fell completely in love with Mexican culture and traditions, art, and of course, food. Standing just beyond the sea, the Sierra Madre Mountains provide a picturesque backdrop to the coastal city alive with history and character. Even as a tourist day tripping along the main sights, I still felt a strong sense of culture. Just a few steps off of the beautiful beaches and into town and you are strolling among handmade Day of the Dead statuettes and aromatic street food vendors, all to the festive sounds of mariachi music in the distance. There is no place else like it. You just feel immersed in tradition, like everything has a story. The pure simplicity of life in Mexico has left a permanent impression on me.

This weekend we had friends over and instead of throwing burgers and hot dogs on the grill I wanted to cook up something a little unexpected. Fiesta! Any excuse for the opportunity to cook and share lots of Mexican food. It was so hot out that we actually felt like we were in Mexico! I’ve decided to dedicate each day of this week to a course off of the menu so that I can tell you about every dish and provide all the recipes. They range from old favorites to new preparations that I’ve never tried before. First up: my own recipes for pico de gallo and guacamole. More than anything else we ate in Mexico, nothing brings back memories quite like having these two classics with tortilla chips by the pool.

Pico de Gallo:
Yield: about 2 cups

- 4 large tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, very finely diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large/2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste

• Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Can prepare and let stand overnight.
• Serve with tortilla chips




Guacamole:
Yield: about 2 cups

- 4 avocado
- 2 tomato, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 ½ limes, juiced
- ½ tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste

• Cut avocados in half and remove pit; scoop out flesh into a bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork until smooth. Add all other ingredients and mix together.
• Serve with tortilla chips

7 comments:

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Great job with the new blog look. Love the idea of the slide show. Awesome!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said...

I second Lazaro for a slide show! My husband loves Mexican food. Thanks for the recipes!

Koci said...

These look so great! Pico de Gallo and Guacamole are seriously two of my favorite things in the world! Great job!

Foodessa said...

Over 20 years ago...I had experienced the great Mexican hospitality in Puerto Vallarta.
The town especially held spedcial memories for Hubby and I.
The Avocado delight:
I could never turn down a smooth and tasty dip with avocados...it's one of my favourites.
This recipe has a very good balance of ingredients.
For myself personally...I'll have to go easy on the heat ;o)

Thanks for sharing and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Perfectly fresh little dips! The slide show is way cool!

Marisa said...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you all like the slideshow too. I will keep posting them!

Heather I. said...

Mmmm, guacamole, I love that stuff. Thanks for the recipe and what a fun idea!