Monday, July 19, 2010

I Love Greek Chicken

Greek chicken is an easy, go-to dinner, good enough to make even the Gods say “Opa!” An alternative to the standard bread and fry, it’s a tasty new approach to a pack of chicken cutlets. You barely have to go out of your way to make this dish, especially since it's made with trusty kitchen staples like lemons, onions, and chicken stock.

To clearly express my love for this recipe, allow me this gluttonous illustration: I can eat an entire platter of Greek chicken by myself, sop up whatever remains of the zesty, sweet sauce with a loaf of bread, and still kind of want it again the next day. No joke.

Lightly dredged in flour seasoned with dried oregano, the chicken is sautéed and then set aside as onions, chicken stock, golden raisins, and lemon make their way into the pan. After the ingredients bubble together and develop into deliciousness, I always thicken the sauce a little with some flour at the end, so that it becomes sort of like a gravy. And it just wouldn’t be Greek chicken without feta cheese; the final touch is a sprinkling of the crumbly cheese over the top. Since I discovered this dish, feta has become a refrigerator must-have. If you would like, you can also add capers to the sauce.

Greek chicken is a great weekday meal when you want to have something good, fast. I also think that it would work nicely in bulk for a party. You’ve got to try it!

Greek Chicken:
Yield: 4 Servings

- 1 pack of boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
- AP flour for dredging plus about a tablespoon for thickening the sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 ½ cups boxed chicken stock or broth
- ½ cup golden raisins
- Juice of 1 and ½ lemon
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Lemon slices for garnish

• If your chicken cutlets are too thick, pound between two sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap.
• Combine flour, dried oregano, salt and pepper in a dish. Dredge chicken in mixture.
• Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add onion to pan; sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, raisins, and lemon juice; cook for about 3 minutes while scraping up the browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Return chicken to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 minutes or until the chicken is done. To lightly thicken sauce, whisk in about 1 Tbs of flour a little bit at a time until desired consistency is reached.
• When serving, spoon the sauce over the chicken and top with feta cheese. Garnish with lemon slices.

Adapted from the Best of Cooking Light Everyday Favorites, 2008

6 comments:

Foodessa said...

For Hubby and I...it's quite the toss up between which food we enjoy more: Italian or Greek?
We've enjoyed so many travels in Greece that we totally embraced their cuisine.

Love the recipe and I'll have to try in out in my kitchen soon.

Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Great way to jazz up chicken. Love the recipe.

The Manly Housewife said...

I love simple go to dishes like these. Will have to try it out!

Marisa said...

Foodessa, I would love to visit Greece and eat there. You are very lucky! If you try the recipe, let me know what you think.

Lazaro, I appreciate all of your support!

Manly Housewife, it really is SO simple--let me know if you try it! :-)

Steve said...

I have a recipe that makes great Greek chicken and potatoes that I always mix up in quantity and have in the fridge when the moment hits That's quite often. This dish looks amazing.

Cristina said...

Everything is good with feta! Great recipe and like the use of golden raisins...I've never used it like that.