Monday, July 5, 2010

I've got a Pickle, Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey!

After your quickie sweet pickle chips have marinated for a few days and are amply drunk with vinegar, sugar, and spices, the next (and best) part is figuring how you want to eat them; you might like to pile your pickles on top of a burger, press them into a Cuban sandwich, or munch on them straight from the juice. In one of the best tasting, but worst-for-you ways to eat a pickle, I decided to prepare some of mine Southern style: battered and deep fried.

Fried pickles are one of my favorite things to order off of the menu at barbeque restaurants. Succulent pickled goodness surrounded by a golden shell of crunch is just too hard to resist! And with a good pickle in the center, the deal is even sweeter.

For my first time making fried pickles, I think they came out pretty good. The only minor snag that I ran into was that at 1/8” slices, my pickle chips were just a little too thin for frying. To avoid holes and to get more substance within your fritter, I would fatten up the slices to at least ¼”. The batter emerged from the depths of the bubbling grease light and airy, receiving some of its flavor and puff from the beer bubbles. With a little kick from the hot sauce, the ranch dip adds another layer of tastiness to the sweet and sour pickles. Fry some up for a fun snack, appetizer, or side!

Recipe adapted from Southern Living, July, 2007.

Beer Battered Fried Pickles with Ranch Dipping Sauce

Batter:
- 2 cups pickle chips
- 1 egg
- 1, 12 oz can beer
- 1 Tbs baking power
- 2 cups AP flour
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- Vegetable oil for frying

• Heat oil to 350 degrees in a fryer, heavy skillet, or Dutch oven.
• Mix all ingredients except for pickles in a bowl. Batter each pickle chip individually and fry until golden.

Ranch Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbs Hot Sauce (such as Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced

3 comments:

Jenn Erickson said...

I love the way your pickle chips puffed! I had never even heard of fried pickles until a few weeks ago when I went to Smashburger in Citrus Heights. Yummy! My girls were crazy for them also. So glad to have stumbled upon your recipe through FoodBuzz so I can try them at home! Cheers!

Marisa said...

Thanks Jenn! Let me know if you try them, I would love to hear how they come out!

Jason Phelps said...

I have never had fried pickles before! They must be incredible. I make my own pickles, so trying this will be easy, I just have to wait for fresh cucumbers to come around again.

Thank You

Jason