Saturday, August 21, 2010
Open Sesame: Using Tahini Paste
Recipe by Gail Simmons, AOL KitchenDaily
Yield: about 42 cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup well-stirred tahini
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (loosely packed dark brown sugar)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
• In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat butter, tahini and vanilla on medium speed until no streaks of butter are visible, about 3 minutes. Add both sugars and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low and beat in half of flour mixture. Add egg and beat to combine, then beat in remaining flour mixture.
• With lightly floured palms, roll dough into balls about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Place them about 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. With two fingers, gently but firmly press each dough ball to flatten slightly and create indentions. Sprinkle liberally with Demerara sugar.
• Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, until cookies are golden on bottom, about 14 minutes. Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks and let cookies cool completely.