Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Swordfish "Masterpiece"

Staring into the cold air of a near-empty refrigerator, the cook scratches her head. Perplexed, she scans the shelves: a bag of this over here, and super-ripe that over there. Pressure builds as the sound of ticking clocks and grumbling stomachs send vibes of hunger-fueled tension toward the kitchen. The conditions are just right; a creative storm is brewing.

Utilizing the little at hand, the cook approaches dinner like a painter working from a palate of limited colors. The entire rainbow is not available, so she mixes and blends to create her very own. From what is first perceived as a disadvantage, inspiration is drawn and a masterpiece is born.

That was the story this weekend. Fresh swordfish steaks straight from the fish market were beckoning for the grill but begged for a little something more; too bad I barely had a little of anything to work with. A lowly tomato destined for a salad (or soon, the garbage) and two lemons later, and I had a delicious sauce. Suddenly, something as plain as a grilled piece of fish turned into a restaurant worthy entrée just because I had to get inventive with what was left in the fridge.

It seems like the best dishes often come out of situations like these. In my case, I ended up putting together a swordfish recipe that no one wanted to stop eating; there was not a drop of sauce left! Needless to say, I definitely will be making it again. I’m really proud of it and am happy to be sharing it with you!

Grilled Swordfish with Tomato-Lemon Sauce
Yield: 3 Servings

Swordfish:
- 3 swordfish steaks
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
• Season steaks by rubbing with salt, pepper, and olive oil on each side. Grill over high heat.

Tomato-Lemon Sauce:
- ½ Tbs butter
- ½ Tbs olive oil
- ½ shallot
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 lemon, juice
- Zest from ½ of a lemon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp flour

• Heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat; add shallots and cook until translucent. Add tomatoes and cook until they release some of their juices but still hold their shape, about 3-5 minutes. Add lemon juice and chicken stock and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
• Finish the sauce with parsley and sugar. If needed, slowly sprinkle in 1 tsp of flour; whisk until the sauce is very slightly thickened.
• Serve sauce over grilled swordfish.

15 comments:

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Great dish. It is true that some of our best work comes from total creation. Sometimes the worst thing for a cook is a recipe.

Fantastic. Two thumbs up!

Weekend Food Projects said...

This certainly looks like a masterpiece. Nice post!

Magic of Spice said...

This is perfect...I have been craving a wonderful piece of swordfish, and this sauce is too good:)

Adelina said...

I love tomatoes and citrus in my fish! It looks great!

Chefs Resources said...

Fresh Swordfish is always a delight. And coupled with fresh ripe tomatoes & lemon... simple yet perfect!

Frank said...

Couldn't agree more--some of the most delicious eating comes from this kind of spur of the moment improvisation. Looks wonderful!

christine said...

Marisa, thanks for visiting my blog. I know exactly what you mean by the weird looks that come with food blogging/photography. Despite the often confused onlookers, I totally love it!

Your fish looks amazing. Way to get creative and save a tomato from the trash!

~Lisa~ said...

I've always wanted to make swordfish. You have inspired me to try. I made red snapper last night myself for the first time (=

Chef Dennis said...

your swordfish looks wonderful, I can see the nice color grilling it gave to it...your sauce clings to it beautifully and sounds like it was so flavorful! what a great dish for the summer!

Evan @swEEts said...

I can't wait till my boyfriend gets back from being away so I can immediately have him grill some swordfish to make this! So delicious looking!!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said...

Good to see more people eating fish. That means I get to see more recipes! I 'm a fish lover. I'm always looking for a new way to try. This is perfect!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

It looks like a masterpiece! Great post!

Marisa said...

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your comments!

Angie's Recipes said...

This is truly a masterpiece! The sauce looks especially great!

Blackberry Pockets said...

I love it when a simple recipe turns into something extraordinary that you can add the to the archive for posterity! Your fish is beautifully prepared!