Saturday, October 9, 2010

Olive You, Stuffed Fried Olives

Back in August, Giada De Laurentiis was talking about olives on the Today Show, where she is a contributing correspondent. Watch the entire segment below:


Did you guys pick up on all the flirtation going on in this kitchen? Matt Lauer, stop trying to put your moves on Giada! At the end, he presents her with a “40” that he made out of olives for her birthday. Real smooth Matt, advertise a woman’s age in fruit!

Seriously though, Giada wowed me once again here with her ingeniously delicious and simple recipe for stuffed and fried olives. I love olives, and this is something I’ve never heard of. On their own, olives are delicious. Stuffed olives? Even better. Here, Giada takes them to the next level. In her recipe, large pitted green olives are stuffed with a creamy mixture of gorgonzola and ricotta cheeses, then breaded and fried. That is just off the charts—a must try!


I’m not a big fan of gorgonzola or ricotta, so I substituted mascarpone and goat cheese. (Yes, I’m an Italian American who does not like ricotta cheese; I’m ok with it in small amounts like in baked ziti or lasagna but I won’t eat manicotti, most raviolis, or anything where it is largely abundant--I know, I’m weird). I was really happy with the way the mascarpone and goat cheese combination turned out. Mascarpone is a thick Italian cream cheese with a very mild flavor. With fresh thyme leaves and lemon zest, the cheese mixture is smooth in both taste and texture.


I must have had at least three or four olives at every stage of making these. Forget get about after they were fried and completed; I’m pretty sure that over the past two days my olive count has gone up to the late teens. It is highly recommended that you not eat this many olives, but you’ll see, they’re hard to resist! The crispy breading on the outside breaks way to the juicy olive inside, leading to the creamy cheese mixture that just melts in your mouth. With fancy toothpicks, I think these would be great as a pass around appetizer at a dinner party.

Stuffed Fried Olives
Print

Yield: 50-60 olives

- Large, pitted green olives
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 1 /2 tsp thyme leaves
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Breading: Flour, 2 eggs (whisked), seasoned breadcrumb
• In a medium bowl, mix the two cheeses together; add thyme, lemon zest, salt and pepper until all is well incorporated. Put mixture inside of a piping bag fitted with a regular round tip; pipe cheese mixture into each olive. Bread the olives in the order of flour, eggs, breadcrumb.
• In a deep skillet, heat oil until a breadcrumb sizzles. Fry breaded olives until they are golden brown. Allow to drain on a paper towel and serve.

20 comments:

Sommer J said...

Giada said, "You either love olives or really hate them." My husband hates them, and I love them. But my husband is a good ol southern boy, so deep fried olives stuffed with cheese is definitely something he would like! Great find. Will have to try this!

And yeah, Matt totally wants to tap that ;)

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } said...

I love anything with olives. Stuffed and fried - what more could you ask for! Nice recipe!

Island Vittles said...

Awesome beer snack! They look great...Theresa

Claudia said...

I am an Italian-American ricotta fiend - I just spoon feed myself the stuff when fresh - so had to laugh. I have my foods I won't touch! These olives do look amazing and I love the combination of mascarpone with goat cheese. Nice move!

Karen said...

These would be perfect for a cocktail party bite! An impressive little appetizer.
I like your substitution of cheese...I like ricotta only when mixed with another cheese, and even then only in small quantities. I keep trying it though, hoping I'll change my mind.

Kathy Gori said...

I love olives and these look just great! Something I'll have to try if my olive tree ever gets busy.

Kate said...

I read a recipe for these not too long ago and thought they'd be really good. Now, I think we need to have a dinner party to try the recipe out - or maybe practice for a dinner party! Kate @kateiscooking

Nova Walsh - said...

Wow these look incredible! I have to try them. I like your combination of goat cheese and mascarpone too - I am a huge fan of goat cheese but never really liked gorgonzola. Fantastic!

~Lisa~ said...

These look absolutely delicious! I love olives. Great lil appetizers with a nice beer or a glass of wine (=

Chef Dennis said...

your version sounds much better!! and seriously can you blame Matt Lauer...and men always get stupid around women....sigh.....

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Marisa~ These look like heaven! A perfect party food!

Can you really blame Matt for flirting with Giada? She's awfully appealing--strikingly gorgeous and a great cook!

Frank said...

You know, stuffed fried olives from Ascoli, called olive ascolani, are a staple of pizzerias in Rome. Made just like this only the stuffing is a meat mixture. And I love them--this sounds like an interesting variation on the theme. Thanks!

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Stuffed olives are some of my favorite snacks. These look fantastic.

Velva said...

Fried olives-delicious!! Wow.

The Mom Chef said...

Giada's right about the love hate thing, but it's also split between green and black. I love black olives and hate green ones. My husband loves green and hates black. Have a feeling that black wouldn't work even half as well.

Regarding Giada in general, I don't know that Hubby has even seen what her face looks like. He says she has big breasts, but I'm sure he was talking about the chicken dish she was making.

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said...

these look scrumptious Marisa! I'm not a big fan of olives but fried stuffed olives i would say YES. Sorry for a late comment. i just got back from vacation and i will be gone again the rest of the month. i won't be able to stop by here as often as i wish but i will be here whenever i have time for sure!

Adelina said...

I love olives, and totally would want to try them stuffed... and fried. I am definitely an olive & cheese girl.

Foodessa said...

My Italian sister-in-law also strangely doesn't like Ricotta...what could possibly be wrong with both of you? LOL

Your substitutes are a perfect choice for these delectable olives.

My Mom used to make these often...however, I never personally gave them a go in my kitchen...it's time to change that ;o)

Have a great day Marisa.

Ciao for now,
Claudia

Magic of Spice said...

No way! I have to try these, love it :)

Koci said...

Wowww!! I'd never heard of fried olives before--they sound amazing! I'm a huge olive fan, so these beauties are definitely paying a visit to my kitchen!