Friday, October 22, 2010
Strong to the Finish, 'Cause I Eats Me Spinach!
Spinach with Apples, Pine Nuts, and Raisins:
Recipe from New York Times, December 14, 1994
Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 large whole onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 large granny smith apples
- 2 pounds loose spinach
- 6 Tablespoons raisins
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
• Heat a large pot at medium heat. Add oil and butter, and sauté onion. Meanwhile, wash, core and seed apples; cut into small cubes. Reduce heat, add apple to onion and continue cooking.
• Trim tough stems from spinach and wash well. Add spinach and raisins to pot; cover and cook for a couple of minutes, until the spinach has wilted. Stir occasionally. Add pine nuts, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.