Friday, October 22, 2010

Strong to the Finish, 'Cause I Eats Me Spinach!


Packed with vitamins and nutrients, delicious when cooked or raw, and as proven by Popeye, a mighty leaf that posses the power to enforce superhuman strength; the pure greenness of spinach may make a child whine with repulsion, but it makes me smile from ear to ear.

While downing a can of spinach from your back pocket might not make you suddenly invincible to a punch in the face from a behemoth-sized dude, it really does have a few super powers packed inside its leaves. Spinach not only strengthens muscles, it fights aging and certain types of cancer, helps to maintain good blood pressure, and prevents memory loss.

I got this recipe for spinach with apples, pine nuts, and raisins off of one of the menus from the culinary school where I work. The sweet add-ins and all of the different textures immediately caught my eye. This easy side dish requires no more than a few minutes to prepare, and it presents itself like colorful spinach confetti.

Spinach with Apples, Pine Nuts, and Raisins:
Recipe from New York Times, December 14, 1994

Yield: 8 Servings

- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 large whole onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 large granny smith apples
- 2 pounds loose spinach
- 6 Tablespoons raisins
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste

• Heat a large pot at medium heat. Add oil and butter, and sauté onion. Meanwhile, wash, core and seed apples; cut into small cubes. Reduce heat, add apple to onion and continue cooking.
• Trim tough stems from spinach and wash well. Add spinach and raisins to pot; cover and cook for a couple of minutes, until the spinach has wilted. Stir occasionally. Add pine nuts, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.

3 comments:

Koci said...

I definitely eats me spinach! It was one of my favorite foods as a little kid.

This recipe looks delicious! I love the combination of apples, raisins, and pine nuts. Very cool!

Angie's Recipes said...

Definitely a stir-fry that I must try! I really love the combination of flavours.

Evan @swEEts said...

I have a spinach salad at least 2 times a week for lunch.. love the stuff. soooo good for you! :)