Monday, February 7, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Forever

You know what goes perfectly well with ice storms? Ice cream, of course!

What better suited occasion could there be for enjoying a luscious frozen treat than when frozen rain is falling out of the sky?

Ok, so ice cream tends to go a lot better with warm, sunny beach days, but I’m making lemonade here people—the lemonade being homemade strawberry ice cream.


Avoiding the crappy weather last weekend, I stayed busy indoors and tested out my brand new ice cream maker for the first time. For my inaugural batch, I kept it straightforward and used one of the recipes from the recipe booklet that the machine came with.

Watching my pureed strawberry, milk and cream mixture swirl around and slowly bulk up from a liquid to pure and bona fide ice cream, I was so excited! I could hardly wait the only 15 minutes that it took to complete. I was really making ice cream—how cool! (No pun intended).

When I could finally dip my spoon into my freshly churned strawberry ice cream, it looked and tasted like straight up Baskin-Robbins or something; smooth, refreshing, and delicious—it was the real deal.

Unless you have an ice cream maker, a recipe for ice cream may seem useless, but I know that seeing homemade frozen desserts on other blogs is what ultimately convinced me that it was something I needed to have.

I got the Cuisinart Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker. It is not that expensive and it makes the job pretty much seamless.

I can definitely see how this ice cream making business can get addicting. I’ll be making many more frozen desserts as the weather warms up!

Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream:
Cuisinart
Print

- 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract

• Put the strawberries into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Pulse strawberries until rough/finely chopped (depending on preference). Reserve in bowl.
• In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed or whisk to combine the milk, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Stir in reserved strawberries with all juices. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.
• Turn on ice cream maker; pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.

14 comments:

Lisa said...

Mmmm, your ice cream looks so creamy and delicious. I'd eat it even though it's wintertime and cold. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" (it will be open until Monday evening) and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your ice cream up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-3.html

Sommer J said...

I love ice cream in the winter! The custard cools down faster for one, and it's just the best lol. I think we have the same ice cream yogurt maker. Glad you're enjoying your new toy.

Krissyp said...

I have been going back and forth about getting an icecream maker...could be a dangerous purchase for me :) You have just convinced me with your first batch of strawberry...which happens to be my favorite! Looks incredible, thanks for sharing.

Claudia said...

And now you'll never go back to store-bought. Love that you picked strawberry - adds color and yearning for spring.

ravienomnoms said...

What a perfect looking ice cream, looks so great and yummy.

Roxan said...

I have that same ice cream maker! Mine's red though. I LOVE it. It's been a while since I last made ice cream but it's so funny that you post this because I plan on making one later this week also. Haven't really decided what flavor yet though - although I do have some lemons that need to be used. Strawberry ice cream is always a great idea, so yum with all those chunks of strawberries in there.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

I have that ice cream maker and it's wonderful. This is the perfect PINK treat for V Day!

Rosemary said...

You're making me think I should get an ice cream maker. A friend swears by her Kitchenaid mixer attachment, although she says it doesn't make much at one time. (Probably better that way) Me! I'd make pistachio my first time!

Koci said...

That ice cream looks gorgeous! I'm with you on the cold weather frozen treats--they go together perfectly!

Congratulations on your new ice cream maker! I have that same one and use it all the time!

Catherine said...

Sounds wonderful and looks so good!

Tammy said...

I kust bought more strawberries today. I've been on such a berry kick lately. This ice cream sounds wonderful.
This is the second homemade ice cream recipe I've seen. I really need to get an ice cream maker. I feel so left out without one!
xx,

5 Star Foodie said...

Homemade ice cream is the best! Looks like we are going to have a warm weather this weekend for a change so this ice cream would totally be perfect :)

Angie's Recipes said...

A very smooth and creamy ice cream!

Alice said...

haha i love the melty spoonful photo!