Friday, March 25, 2011

Princess Leia Cupcakes

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…


It is a period of celebration. On the 21st of March in the year 2011, Adam has won his 24th victory against the forces of life to survive another year on Earth.

During this day, his girlfriend, Marisa, secretly managed to execute the perfect dessert for the ultimate Star Wars fan, the PRINCESS LEIA CUPCAKE, a confection with enough delicious frosting and Oreo hair to destroy an entire appetite.

Pursued by the cupcakes sinister good looks, Adam races to the table aboard the starship in his head to devour the edible clones and become custodian of the birthday cake that can save his sweet tooth and restore freedom to his nerdiness…


My boyfriend is a BIG nerd.

I say this in the most affectionate way. In fact, he takes it as a compliment. Lucky for him, he is a cute nerd, so I deal with it, and obviously support it too.

He loves everything Star Wars, and ever since I came across these adorable Princess Leia cupcakes on http://www.justjennrecipes.com/ back in October, I’ve wanted to make them for him.



With these being Princess Leia cupcakes, of course the hair is the most important detail. Star Wars nerd or not, the two braided buns are immediately recognized as a ‘do that is distinctly hers. Two Oreo cookies adhered to each side of the cupcake with frosting complete the look.

Justjennrecipes, recommends using cream cheese and black frosting for the face and hair; I made vanilla and chocolate buttercream frostings instead, but after the fact I think the cream cheese would have been much easier to spread/pipe. And as you can see, pink or red heart sprinkles work perfectly for the lips.

To make these for the Star Wars fan in your life, get the step-by-step design instructions, here.

12 comments:

Roxan said...

Marisa these are so so so adorable! What a cute idea to use those little oreos as the Leia buns.

Karen said...

Sitting by myself, I actually said out loud, "OH MY GOD THOSE ARE CUTE!" ha. These are just awesome. Love the little heart lips and of course the Oreo buns.

Koci said...

These are so cute!! I love the little heart sprinkles for mouths. I bet your boyfriend was in geeky birthday heaven! :D

Stephanie said...

These are so so cute! And they sound tasty too. What a sweet birthday surprise.

Cheap Ethnic Eatz said...

So adorable and brilliant

Elisabeth said...

These are the cutest, cookies I've ever seen. So clever, and artistic, Marisa!

Claudia said...

What a good and tasty idea. Leia's locks never looked so welcoming.

Mary said...

These are really cute and they are a truly clever idea. I picked a good day for my first visit to your blog. I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries to see what you are all about here. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary.

Joy said...

Those are adorable.

tryityoumightlikeit said...

I've made these too. The kids LOVED them. I should make them again soon.

SinFoodie said...

Thesee are so cute and adorable !!

leslie Rife said...

My husband named our daughter leia and I been looking for something different for a bday party for her and these are prefect!